Journal List > Korean J Occup Environ Med > v.21(4) > 1125699

Korean J Occup Environ Med. 2009 Dec;21(4):406-411. Korean.
Published online Jan 29, 2019.  https://doi.org/10.35371/kjoem.2009.21.4.406
Copyright © 2009 The Korean Society of Occupational and Environmental Medicine
A Case of Chemical Pneumonitis After Ingestion of Hydrocarbon
Suk Hwan Kim, Yangjin Jegal, Nari Choy and Yangho Kim
Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine and Department of Internal Medicine, Korea.
Ulsan University Hospital, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Ulsan, Korea.
Abstract

BACKGROUND

Hydrocarbon is used frequently in the home in places such as the kitchen, garage, and basement. Accidental ingestion of hydrocarbons occurs generally in infants and children in the home. In cases of accidental ingestion, the amount is usually too small to cause medical problems, but can bring about diseases such as chemical pneumonitis.

CASE REPORT

After ingesting organic solvent mistaken for mineral water, a 53-year-old male complained of cough, fever, and pain in the right upper abdomen, back, and right chest. Simple chest x-ray revealed focal chemical pneumonitis mainly involving the right middle lobe. The resulting lung abscess did not resolve until after treatment with drainage accompanied with antibiotics therapy. The ingested solution was analyzed and found to be a C11~C13 hydrocarbon mixture which has low viscosity.

CONCLUSION

Chemical pneumonitis occurred after ingestion of hydrocarbon solution, and there is evidence of aspiratory mechanism.

Keywords: Hydrocarbon; Ingestion; Pneumonitis